At Artech House, we ask our authors what problems their books can help readers solve. In this series, we share what our authors aim to do in their writing. Read on to find out what Fabio Cavaliere, who, along with Antonio D’Errico, wrote Photonic Applications for Radio Systems Networks had to say:
What are the features of your book and the specific benefits a reader can expect to derive from those features?
- The book provides optical network designers with basic but necessary information about radio systems air interface and radio access network architecture, protocols, and interfaces, using 5G use cases as relevant example.
- The book introduces mobile network designers to the transmission modelling techniques for the design of a radio access optical network. The main linear and non-linear propagation effects in optical fiber are covered. All presented propagation models can be implemented in a spreadsheet, in order to provide the designer with simple rules of thumbs for network planning.
- The book introduces mobile network designers to the optical technologies used in digital and analog radio access networks, such as optical amplifiers and transmitters, and describes different deployment scenarios, such as point to point fiber systems, wavelength division multiplexing systems, and passive optical networks. New integrated photonic technologies for optical switching are also discussed.
- The book illustrates the principles of optical beamforming and explains ho optical technologies can be used to provide accurate phase and frequency control of antenna elements.
- Helping students, researchers, and professionals to gain basic complementary design skills in both wireless and optical networks.
- Meeting ICT industry and service providers need of having engineers skilled in both wireless and optical skills, overcoming the traditional separation of the two educational paths.
- Providing a system level description of any building block, avoiding unnecessary technical detail and adopting a top down perspective, which starts from application scenarios to end up with technologies.
- Providing engineers, professional and researchers with practical system design rules and guidelines, accessible to people with different technical background.
- Collecting in a single book and providing a structured view of topics that are scattered in several papers, known only to the specialized reader Giving the engineers with a single self-contained reference about the use of the optical technology in a radio access network.
For more information or to order, click here.