This book is the definitive resource for in-band full-duplex (IBFD) wireless systems. IBFD technology allows devices to transmit and receive signals on the same frequency at the same time, but has intentionally been avoided in a wide range of traditional systems. This is due to the significant self-interference that is generated by a transmitter co-located with a receiver, and cannot be suppressed by traditional filters since the interfering signal is within the desired reception band. The book editor has assembled a team of leading researchers who have contributed chapters on self-interference cancellation (SIC) techniques within the propagation, analog and digital domains as well as advanced applications of IBFD that move beyond 5G and 6G communications.
One of the novel aspects of this book is that it focuses on IBFD topics that have been implemented and demonstrated in the real world. The chapter authors not only present the theoretical foundation of their work, but also validate their assumptions with measured results that can be used to set expectations for their associated SIC technique, system or application. Additionally, this uniquely allows them to share insights into the lessons learned during the prototyping process, which should help others avoid past mistakes as well as highlight problematic areas that require careful attention. These distinctive aspects make this book an excellent reference for both beginners and professionals to help propel this technology area for years to come.
The technology referred to as in-band full-duplex (IBFD) allows devices to communicate at the same time using minimal system resources. This concept is analogous to hearing a whisper across the room while you are actively shouting at the top of your lungs. The key element to making this work is the combination of various techniques that suppress your yell so that your ears do not hear it, and only listen to the other surrounding sounds. Wireless system architects are interested in incorporating this technology because it allows the same frequency channel to be used for transmission (shouting) and reception (listening), which is critical since they operate within spectrum allocations that are severely limited and thus expensive to obtain. These spectrum challenges, along with fact that IBFD can unlock applications that were previously considered impossible, will accelerate the adoption of this technology into future communications networks (including 5G and 6G cellular), military systems and other unforeseen use-cases.
This book seamlessly combines chapters by leading researchers around the world, and presents the wireless system techniques and applications that enable IBFD. It uniquely focuses on concepts that have been demonstrated in the real world, and includes practical advice and lessons learned, which makes this book an excellent reference for both beginners and professionals looking to help propel this technology area for years to come.
What are problems your book can help technical professionals solve?
- Many different organizations have been developing various aspects of in-band full-duplex (IBFD) technology. This book helps bring all of the current research together in one place, and effectively serves the community as a guide in this new area, which currently does not exist.
- Successful IBFD systems are complex and require expertise in many unique areas. This book highlights both the system’s architecture considerations as well as the deeper technical challenges that must be overcome for future deployments.
- Typically, researchers have been working on IBFD with regards to a single application. This book exposes readers to other IBFD applications and concepts, which should help encourage unique ideas in regards to future uses and systems.
Please list below what you consider to be important Features of your book/software and the Specific Benefits a buyer can expect to derive from those Features:
Feature: this book contains the most-comprehensive collection of state-of-the-art self-interference cancellation approaches, real-world system examples and future application discussions by leading researches of IBFD wireless technology in different organizations around the world.
Benefit: this single resource can be utilized to introduce students to the fundamentals of certain aspects of IBFD as well as assist professional engineers in understanding or combining the technology elements in a new and/or practical manner.
Feature: every chapter in this book uniquely contains a section that discusses practical considerations where the various authors discuss their lessons learned in regards to their specific area of expertise.
Benefit: this information can be used to reduce IBFD component and system design times by leveraging the experiences and valuable insights from leading researchers in the field.
Feature: every chapter in this book additionally contains a section that discusses the future directions of each individual technique, system or application by the expert authors.
Benefit: these insights can be used to guide the larger research community and help focus their efforts to advance the state of art in the different areas of IBFD, which should help it become adopted into a future wireless standard.
What are the audiences at which this book is aimed and why is the book appropriate for this audience?
- Technology professionals and technical staff members: this audience will use this book as not only a state-of-the-art reference for IBFD technology, but also as a guide that helps them build the different pieces of their IBFD system or related application.
- Company managers and business developers: this audience could use this book to better understand the landscape of IBFD technology as well as provide them with additional context and state-of-the-art perspectives for business proposals and new technology ventures.
- Undergraduate and graduate students: this audience will use this book to study the different aspects of IBFD systems as well as their applications, and then focus their university research towards improving or expanding a certain IBFD area.
- Professors and advanced course instructors: this audience could use this book as a teaching tool to become familiar with current IBFD research and then motivate future course offerings. This book could also be incorporated into an undergraduate or graduate class on applications of wireless technology (homework problems are not, however, included).
Click here for more information or to order.