At Artech House, we ask our authors what problems their books can help readers solve. In this series, we share what our authors aim to do in their writing. Read on to find out what Herbert Falk, who wrote IEC 61850 Demystified had to say:
What are some problems your book can help readers solve?
- IEC 61850 Demystified provides the knowledge to understand how to use IEC 61850 and the underpinnings that allow IEC 61850 applications to be constructed.
- The book introduces the concepts of IEC 61850 and relates them to similar technologies, or uses, that people use in everyday life. Additionally, it provides unique insight regarding:
- The relationships of the abstract, configuration, and implementation parts of the standard using Unified Modeling Language (UML).
- Provides an extensive history of the development of SCADA, utility, and IEC 61850 technologies.
- Discusses the relationship of IEC 61850 and cyber security.
- Provides “cheat sheets” that may be useful in the application of IEC 61850.
What are the features of your book and the specific benefits a reader can expect to derive from those features?
Feature: The use of UML to express of the various parts of the standard.
Benefit: Allows information to be presented in a visual manner
Feature: Provides the abstract, configuration, and implementation aspects cohesively and not scattered into various parts of the book.
Benefit: Allows the user to find the relevant information in a single place.
Feature: Provides a correlation of IEC 61850 cyber security standards and governmental Critical Infrastructure requirements.
Benefit: Helps to inform utilities of what technologies are needed to meet governmental audits.
Please name the audiences at which this book is aimed. How will this audience use your book?
- Power Systems Engineers: Provides an understanding of the engineering principles and applicability of IEC 61850.
- Computer/Power Engineering Curriculum: Will provide a good basis in understanding the technologies and principles behind IEC 61850. Coupled with a program of hands on experimentation (curriculum based) should provide a differentiator for application for positions in the utility industry.
- Utility Executives and finance: Will provide a basis to understand the potential savings that utilities can achieve through the deployment of IEC 61850.
For more information or to order, click here.